Vitamin C is involved in the production of collagen. Collagen gives our skin its elasticity and plumpness. Over our lifetime the amount of Vitamin C found in the skin naturally decreases. Another way Vitamin C can keep us looking youthful is by preventing and reversing damage from the sun. This powerful antioxidant fights free radicals that cause cellular damage. Age spots are not because you are getting older, they occur because your skin was overexposed to the sun, and the cells responsible for pigmentation have been permanently damaged.
While some vitamins and minerals are better absorbed through diet, Vitamin C is a powerhouse when applied topically. Studies have shown that Vitamin C has about a 20 times better absorption rate when applied topically rather than taken orally!
- Look for an airtight container that is opaque. Exposure to Air and light will break down Vitamin C, making it less effective.
- Choose a product that has the percentage on the label. Anything containing less than 10% Vitamin C will yield little to no results from this antioxidant.
What to know when using a Vitamin C product:
- While some people might notice a change in their skin’s appearance in as little as 2 week, give up to 8 weeks before you start to notice an improvement. Maximum results will be achieved after 6 months of continuous use.
- Vitamin C (in the form of L-ascorbic acid) is a great ingredient to use on your skin post laser or microdermabrasion as it has anti-inflammatory properties and will prevent new skin discoloration.
- This powerful antioxidant turns over cells and can lead to flaking, dry skin, so it is important to apply a moisturizer over a Vitamin C serum.
So, for that part about why including Vitamin C into your skin care routine is so important - imagine a glowing complexion, a more even skin tone with less fine lines and no hyperpigmentation. A better skin care regiment, with better ingredients can have you looking your best by the time spring has arrived. Once this fresh face is achieved, you will be far less likely to revert back to your old bad habits. Those toxic skin habits, like unprotected sun exposure are soon to be in your rear view mirror because you are about to put your best, fresh face forward come 2014!
Chantal Monique is a NYS licensed Esthetician and Makeup Artist. She has 7 years experience in skin care and makeup artistry. Her specialties include makeup application and facial treatments, which were featured on ABC's Wife Swap. Chantal also has a background in the Fine Arts. With the unique combination of her education as well as the desire to help people feel beautiful, Chantal provides expert skin care knowledge for our customers as well as the must have ingredients and trending looks. With an ever growing portfolio and clientele askderm is excited to be teamed up with Chantal for future blogs, informational videos and skin care tips!